Plat maps of Colton, Staley, and Diamond, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Files

http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/maps/image/103.jpg

Title

Plat maps of Colton, Staley, and Diamond, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Subject

Colton (Wash.)--Maps<br>Staley (Wash.)--Maps<br>Diamond (Wash.)--Maps<br>Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>

Description

1 map: col., 39 x 27 cm.<br>Plat maps from the Whitman County cities of Colton, Staley and Diamond. <br>Colton scale 400'=1"<br> Staley scale 400'=1"<br>Diamond scale 400'=1"<br>The town of Colton, eleven miles south of Pullman, began as a settlement in 1879. Mr. Gregor Koshir filed the town plat in 1881 and it was incorporated the year following. There are a number of variances regarding the naming of the town. Some records say that it was named for Dr. J.A. Cole, the town's benefactor who helped obtain the post office and school in 1879 and 1889, respectively. Other reports say it was named through the joining of the names of two settlers: Cole and Worthington. Still another tale suggests that it was named by Dr. Cole, Ray Woodworth, and L.J. Wolford. These three supposedly took the "Col" of Cole and "ton" from Clinton--the son of L.J. Wolford.<br>Early Colton had a large Catholic contingency. In 1892 the Benedictine Sisters arrived, establishing St. Andrews Convent and a school. They remained to teach until 1937, when the entire convent returned to their home base in Cottonwood, Idaho. In 1937, however, the Notre Dame Sisters arrived to continue the school.<br>Staley, just five miles south of Pullman, was soon enveloped by the college town. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Staley (some records report that it was David Staley), purposely platted the town in the hopes that its proximity to the Northern Pacific Railroad line would ensure its success.<br>Nine miles west of Colfax on Rebel Flat, Mr. Q. Diamond platted a town and named it after himself circa 1886. The Columbia and Palouse Railroad (later sold to Union Pacific) ran through Rebel Flat. The town school, begun in the 1890s, consolidated with Colfax by 1938 and the post office closed in 1956.

Creator

Anderson Map Company

Source

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries

Publisher

Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company

Date

1910

Contributor

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections

Rights

Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691

Relation

Is part of Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Maps<br>Plats

Identifier

WSU 98

Coverage

United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Colton
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Staley
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Diamond

Citation

Anderson Map Company, “Plat maps of Colton, Staley, and Diamond, (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company,” Digital Exhibits, accessed December 7, 2022, http://digitalexhibits.wsulibs.wsu.edu/items/show/1648.