Plat maps of Boone Park add. to Palouse; Willada or Lancaster (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company
Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Palouse Wash.--Maps<br>Oregon Railway Extension Co.<br>Washington Division of Pleasant Valley Railroad Co.<br>Lancaster, James L.
1 map: col., 35 x 14 cm.<br>Plat map from the Whitman County cities of Palouse (Boone Park addition) and Willada or Lancaster. Scale: 400'=1" for Boone Park Addition and 300'=1" for Willada.<br>In 1888-89, the Oregon Railway Extension Co. (which later became the Washington Division of Pleasant Valley Railroad Co.) came to the area soon to become Willada. The town's name is the combination of the first names of the railroad depot's agent (Will) and his wife (Ada). The post office for the town, however, was named after its first postmaster--Mr. James L. Lancaster. The town lay seven miles southeast of Evan (perhaps Ewan?) and three miles north of the Palouse River. The nearby school began as early as 1880. It was first known as Downing School, but soon changed its name to Lancaster Willada. It consolidated with St. John in 1943. The post office remained in operation until 1965.
Anderson Map Company
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries
Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691
Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Palouse
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Willada or Lancaster