Plat map of Penawawa, (1910)<br>Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910
Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Penawawa Wash.--Maps<br>Snake River<br>Flincher, Emsley<br>Byrd, Francis Marion<br>Cram, C.C.
1 map: col., 27 x 36 cm.<br>Plat map from the Whitman County city of Penawawa. Scale: 600'=1".<br>Named after a nearby creek at Union Flat, the town of Penawawa lay twelve miles west of Almota. Its first permanent settler, Mr. Ed Johnson, arrived in 1871 and raised cattle. In 1872, the territorial road running from Walla Walla to Colville stopped at the settlement and helped its economy greatly. It was platted in 1877 by founders Emsley Flincher, C.C. Cram and Francis Marion Byrd. Cram owned a ferry business on the other side of the Snake River and Penawawa grew as a ferry station and an exchange station that kept fresh horses for the stage coach route from Spokane to Pendleton. It was widely used until the highway was built and bypassed Penawawa for Central Ferry instead. There was also a railroad in the vicinity, located near Camas Prairie Road. The Penawawa post office was in existence from 1872 to 1937. Their school, which had begun sometime before 1890, consolidated with Colfax in 1940. The cemetery was also moved to Colfax (1960) due to the likelihood of water levels rising from construction (beginning 1963)of the Little Goose Dam.
Anderson Map Company
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries
Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691
Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910
United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County--Penawawa