Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 15 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Files

http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/maps/image/159.jpg

Title

Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 15 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Subject

Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Pullman (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Northern Pacific Railroad<br>Columbia and Palouse Railway<br>Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Co.<br>Mckenzie, D.G.<br>Farr, Bolin<br>Moore, Charles

Description

1 map: col., 36 x 33 cm.<br>Plat map of a portion of the Whitman County city of Pullman. Scale 1.5"=1 mile. See the other part of Pullman: http://kaga.wsulibs.wsu.edu/zoom/zoom.php?map=wsu169 <br> The village of Pullman incorporated in 1888, about a decade after its first settlers (Mr. Bolin Farr, Mr. D.G. Mckenzie, and Mr. Charles Moore) arrived in the geographical area then known as "Three Forks". Once there, a number of settlers decided to stay and try their hands at farming, cattle grazing, mining, and the trade business. Stories have been passed down through the years that the town was named in honor of Mr. George Pullman of the Pullman Car Company, but these reports have yet to be verified. What is known is that at the time of the town's incorporation some two hundred souls resided there. A number of diverse businesses in the area helped the young town stay afloat, and even boast (and win) the argument that their town was the best location for the State's land-grant college. Some of the first businesses in the area included the Pullman Drug Store, owned by White and Johnson, Martin Zender's blacksmith shop, the Downen and Mills' Dry Goods Store, a real estate and insurance agency also owned by Mr. E.E. Downen, a Grocery store run by Ellsworth and Hunt, the "Mint" Saloon run by Mike Leitch, and the Palace Hotel and a livery stable run by Mr. M.C. True. The Columbia and Palouse Railway (later taken over by the Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company) came to town in 1885, and was joined shortly by the Spokane and Palouse Railroad (1887) and the greatest coup of all, the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1890.

Creator

Anderson Map Company

Source

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries

Publisher

Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company

Date

1910

Contributor

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections

Rights

Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691

Relation

Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Maps<br>Plats

Identifier

WSU 170

Coverage

United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County
Palouse River

Citation

Anderson Map Company, “Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 15 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910)<br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company,” Digital Exhibits, accessed December 7, 2022, http://digitalexhibits.wsulibs.wsu.edu/items/show/1708.