Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 14 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910) <br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Files

http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/maps/image/160.jpg

Title

Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 14 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910) <br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company

Subject

Whitman County (Wash.) -- Maps<br>Pullman Wash., Maps<br>Farr, Bolin<br>Mckenzie, D.G.<br>Three Forks<br>Palouse River<br>College Hill (Pullman), Military Hill (Pullman), Mechanic's Hill (Pullman)<br>Neill, Judge Thomas<br>Stark, Lawrence R.

Description

1 map: col., 36 x 34 cm.<br>Plat map of a portion of the Whitman County city of Pullman. Scale 1.5"=1 mile. See the other part of Pullman: http://kaga.wsulibs.wsu.edu/zoom/zoom.php?map=wsu170 <br>Some speculation has arisen over the longstanding story regarding Pullman's inception and bestowed name. Prior to 1899 and the publishing of the first historical sketch of the town by resident Judge Thomas Neill, pioneer stories listed D.G. McKenzie as the first white man to settle in the area. After Neill's history, the notion crept into the historical record that it was in fact Mr. Bolin Farr who first settled and then platted ten acres for the townsite. Another discrepancy stated that Pullman was originally named "Three Forks", after the nearby junction of two creeks and with the Palouse River. However, Lawrence Stark, archivist of Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections at Washington State University's Holland Library, suggests that this is merely the geographical name for the area on which the town of Pullman is situated, and not the original name of the actual town at all. He further disagrees with the likelihood that the town was named after Pullman Car Company President, George Pullman.<br> Some facts regarding the early town are certain however, such as the its incorporation in 1888. The town lay originally on seven hills, with today's College Hill then known as "Mechanic's Hill" and Military Hill then known as "College Hill". The original College Hill Addition (1890)is the site of the first college to arrive in Pullman--a military school begun in 1891. Apparently, the military school was academically well regarded, and preferred even over the State land-grant school when it enrolled its first students in 1895. However, the military college burned down that same decade, and with the growing State College in such close proximity, it seemed pointless to rebuild. The name of "Military Hill" however, keeps the school in memory.

Creator

Anderson Map Company

Source

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, WSU Libraries

Publisher

Seattle, Wash. : Anderson Map Company

Date

1910

Contributor

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections

Rights

Contact Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, for copyright information 509 335-6691

Relation

Plat Book of Whitman County Washington Compiled and Published from actual Surveys and the County Records by Anderson Map Company Seattle, Wash 1910

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Maps<br>Plats

Identifier

WSU 169

Coverage

United States--Washington (State)--Whitman County

Citation

Anderson Map Company, “Plat of [part of Pullman] Township 14 N, Range 45 & 46 E.W.M. Whitman County, Wash., (1910) <br>Plat book of Whitman County, Washington compiled and published from actual surveys and the County records by Anderson Map Company,” Digital Exhibits, accessed December 7, 2022, http://digitalexhibits.wsulibs.wsu.edu/items/show/1709.